Protective clothing comes in two standards

It is important to note that there are 2 standards of protective clothing and equipment used in fencing. FFE or 'club' equipment used for training, interclub and state level competition, and more expensive FIE (800N) equipment used in national and international competition. When investing in your equipment it is best to first ask what you want to do with your fencing. If necessary, talk to your coach to get more information.